What Happens During the Sleep Out?
During the 15-hour Sleep Out, you’ll learn about homelessness, discover what our community is doing to help those in need and have fun.
- Meet representatives from local agencies that serve the homeless
- Participate in educational games and learning experiences
- Watch a family-friendly movie on the Kernel’s big screen
- Bid on silent auction items
- Enjoy warm soup and drinks
Information for Sleep Out Participants
Make your Sleep Out experience fun and memorable by dressing appropriately and bringing the right equipment.
Dress for the Weather
Be prepared for cool weather. Low temperatures in Cedar Rapids in early November can range from 35 to 22 degrees. Stay comfortable by dressing in layers and bringing winter gear, including a coat, hat, scarf and gloves or mittens.
Bring the Right Supplies
You’ll want some place to sleep, so bring either:
- A tent (no stakes, please), or
- Cardboard, packing tape and box cutter (no duct tape or paint, please)
- Blankets, pillows, and/or sleeping bags
- Games and books
- Water bottle
Don’t Forget to Clean Up
Follow the lead of the Boy Scouts and leave our Sleep Out site cleaner than you found it. You’re responsible for removing all materials you bring into the stadium.
Stay Safe & Warm
You’ll feel safe spending the night outdoors because we have security on site throughout the event. We also providing warming stations and access to indoor bathrooms.